It’s easy to add Google Analytics to Website. I presume that you have Installed WordPress and nice looking theme too.
Now, What Happens You just start posting, and attract readers to your blog and have happy conversions. Sounds great! Wait a minute, did I forget to mention that you need some tracking tool on your site just to make sure your efforts are not in vain.
Yes, you must know what’s happening on your site and the only way you can do it is by adding user tracking tools on your site.
Out there are lots of analytics providers, but I find Google analytics as the best to start with. Yes, it is absolutely free to use.
Google Analytics Setup is very easy if you follow these steps by step instructions. GA can be added to your site by different methods.
Assuming you are a beginner, I recommend you to consider one of the first two methods for obvious reasons one being easy.
First, I am generalising the entire procedure in three simple steps. It is almost same no matter which method you use.
Just a difference in User Interface and tools used. This is just a landscape view of what you are about to do.
- Create a Google Analytics Account for your website.
- Copy The Google Analytics Tracking Code.
- Install the Google Analytics Tracking Code code On your website.
Methods To Add Google Analytics To Website:
- Add Google Analytics to Website Using Monster Insights Plugin.
- Add Google Analytics to Website Using Simple Insert Headers and Footers Plugin.
- Add Google Analytics to Website Using Theme Header Function.
- Add Google Analytics to Website Using FTP Method.
Method 1: Using Monster Insights Plugin
1. Sign in to Google Analytics.
2. Click on Admin button at the left bottom of Google Analytics Dashboard.
3.Create an Account for the website you wish to add Google Analytics. from the drop-down menu as shown below.
4. Enter all the relevant website details and click on Get Tracking ID.
5.Now Head over to WordPress Dashboard, Install & Activate Google Analytics for WordPress by Monster Insights Plugin.
6. Go to Insights from the left sidebar of WordPress and Select Dashboard. Click on Authenticate with Google.
7. Now Start Authenticating with Google watch the following video on How to authenticate with Google.
8. After Authentication It will take up to 24 hours to see the website analytics to appear on the WordPress Dashboard.
This method Allows you to see the website analytics in WordPress dashboard without leaving the WordPress Admin Panel.
If you have any further doubts about Monster Insights Plugin You can read Official Documentation by Monster Insights here
Method 2: Using Insert Headers and Footers Plugin
In this method, We follow the same process up to Step 4 that we used in above method i.e Entering Website details.
1. Sign in to Google Analytics.
2.Click on Admin button at the left bottom of Google Analytics Dashboard.
3. Create an Account for the website you wish to add Google Analytics from the drop-down menu.
4. Enter all the website details.
5. Click on Get Tracking Code, Copy the code into notepad.
6.Head over to WordPress Dashboard, Install and Activate Insert Headers and Footer Plugin in WordPress.
7. Open the Insert Headers and Footers plugin paste the GA code in Header and save changes
8. GA will take 24 hours to update the analytics in your Google Analytics Dashboard
This method doesn’t provide you analytics within WordPress for which you must head over to Google Analytics Dashboard.
Method 3 and Method 4 are for advanced users who are comfortable with it.But for now, I am not including those in this post.
I wanted this post to be beginner friendly. If you would like to know advance methods please let me know in the comments section.
Other than these four, There are other methods too but above are the most popular and beginner friendly methods.